Personal Growth from SelfGrowth.com-- SelfGrowth.com is the most complete guide to information about Personal Growth on the Internet.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Listening as a motivator

The greatest motivational act one person can do for another is to listen - Roy E Moody
 
Often we think that motivation comes from someone giving us words of encouragement through speech or writing. How is it that having someone listen to you is more motivational? When we talk about our goals and dreams, having someone listen is comforting. When we are faced with a problem, having someone listen is supportive. When we are working through a solution, having someone listen is empowering. Listening allows the talker to think about what is he/she is saying. Listening gives the talker the ability to analyze or assess what they are saying. Listening shows the talker that he/she had the answer inside of them along. Listening is powerful. There have been times where someone wanted to talk to me about a situation and what they should do. I would listen and without having said anything, the person would arrive at the solution. More importantly, the sense of confidence that they had after our conversation was energizing. They became motivated to follow through with their decision because of their realization of the solution. As a supervisor, I listen to my people everyday. In some instances, I may not be able to do anything about the situation but listen. What I know though is that by listening to them, they feel motivated to do their best for me because I care enough to listen. I write to motivate you because I cannot listen to you. If I had my choice, I would listen. I love listening! I charge you with motivating someone through listening. I would love to get a report back on the experience! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment